DEATH & HORROR, INC. BIO
- Vicar (vocals, samples, guitars, synths) and Graf (samples, airwave appropriation) begin collaborating afterhours on improv soundscape compositions, in Toronto - DHI'S home town
- the duo partially names itself after a classic 70s BBC sound effects record
- Max joins the band on synths, samples and metals
- DHI's first demo cassette, Need And Ability, is distributed in Toronto, receiving positive college media attention
- the trio makes its live debut and quickly amasses a strong regional following
- Chemical Land Showdown, the band's second album-length demo, is released
- a handful of Toronto DJs successfully chance DHI's sound on the danceclub crowd
- the group is invited to support A Split Second, and a few weeks later,Front Line Assembly
- Canadian indie label Fringe Product inks the band to a three year deal
- DHI meets producer/engineer Rob Sanzo (Dogpile-Kk/Electrip recording artists) and begins re-recording material for future releases
- an opening spot is secured for The Young Gods
- the limited edition Chemical Land CD EP, featuring two rare tracks, is released on Fringe
- Max departs Stateside and is replaced by Nocturne (samples, violins)
- the group is approached by director Steve Jones, resulting in DHI's first video outing (also for Chemical Land)
- Machine Altar Transmission, the band's Canadian debut CD, hits the streets
- MuchMusic, and CityTV's internationally syndicated New Music program, both air features documenting DHI's original/unorthodox sampling techniques
- the band plays in support of Alien Sex Fiend
- another video, entitled New Vision, featuring metal artist Steve Richards' Insidious Devices (Lollapalooza) and ex-Archaos firebreather Mike Dent, is launched
- DHI embarks upon a lengthy series of writing and recording sessions at its Scriptorium studio, and later at Signal To Noise with Rob Sanzo
- another limited edition ep, Bitter Alloys, is released
- Mike Speed Gibbs (Dogpile) joins the band, providing additional guitar and bass work
- CBC's Prime Time News captures DHI in performance for a special on "cyberpunk" author William Gibson
- the foursome continue an onslaught of Canadian gigs supporting Pressures Collide, DHI's second CD
- shooting for the Pain And Courage video (the CD's lead-off single) is conducted in a ghastly, long-abandoned brick factory
- Van Richter Records (California) and Kk records (belgium) both license the Pressures disc, resulting in DHI's debut release in the U.S. and Europe. The Van Richter disc includes the limited edition Bitter Alloys EP.
- these two versions of the disc boast fully redesigned sleeves - exclusively for each label's territory.
- DHI and Kk begin organizing the band's first European live dates - destined to be a success, as DHI has evolved into a thunderous, riveting animal!
- Presents the final chapter of DHI as Van Richter Records releases
their swan song album Transmissions from the Chemical Land containing
previously unreleased and out of print material, plus the hit single
"Chemical Land". DHI now takes their place along side Skinny Puppy as
one of the key innovators in the history of Industrial music!
Back to DEATH & HORROR, INC. page.